Bittergourd in Tamarind Gravy from Rekha Blog
Bitter gourd means only two thing to me bitter gourd fry or stuffed version. But when Rekha post her version of bitter gourd in tamarind gravy I knew I had to try that and which I did. The result was awesome, too good for me but unfortunately DH doesn't like much of tamarind :-(...But whatever this was super yummy. I did little alteration to the original recipe, Rekha boiled the bittergourd in buttermilk, I skip that step and went for shortcut method ;) Thanks Rekha for the wonderful recipe.
Serving - 2 persons
Ingredients: [Orignial Recipe click here]
Bitter gourd - 1 large [ sliced]
Onion - 1 large [ chopped]
Tomato - 1 small [ chopped]
Garlic - 1tsp [ chopped]
Tamarind Pulp - 1 tbs
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Redchilli Powder - 1tsp
Jaggery - 1/2 tsp [ grated/powder]
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tbs
Coriander leaves - few [ chopped]
1. Chop onion, tomato and garlic. Peel bitter gourd and slice them in circle. Sprinkle little of turmeric powder and salt over bitter gourd pieces and keep aside for 5 to 10mins
2. Heat oil in a pan, add Asafoetida, cumin and mustard seeds allow them to crack. Add onion, garlic and curry leaves, fry until onion turns light brown.
3. Add turmeric and chilli powder mix well, now bitter gourd and cook for 2 mins. Add chopped tomato, salt and cook for another 2mins with lid on in medium flame.
4. Once the tomato mashed, add tamarind pulp and cook in low flame for 10-12mins. Add water if required, I added little water.
5. Add jaggery and mix well. Adjust salt if required. Cook for 3-4 more mins. Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Enjoly hot with rice.