Vazhakkai Kara Kuzhambu | Plantain Kuzhambu Curry
Vazhakkai Kara Kuzhambu or Plantain (Kaccha Kela) Kulambu is easy, spicy and delicious kuzhambu recipe goes well with steamed rice. I liked kuzhambu or kulambu but I make it rarely as DH doesn't eat so once in a blue moon just to satisfy my kulambu craving I do make it and this time I made this vazhakkai or plantain kara kuzhambu and it's similar to Chettinad style so this kulambu is on spicy side.
Like any kuzhambu this one too taste more delicious if we eat after couple of hours as all the spices and tamarind blends well together and enhance the taste well. If you like you can reduce chili powder and dry chili to suit your needs as this kulambu is spicy how kara kulambu suppose to be.
Enjoy this kara kuzhambu with steamed rice and fryums for a perfect lunch. You can also check other Kuzhambu (kulambu) recipes and plantain recipes
- Chettinad Kara Kuzhambu
- Vatha Kuzhambu
- Pepper Kuzhambu
- Vazhakkai Varuval | Plantain Fry
- Plantain Tikki (Cutlet)
- Plantain Stir Fry
Vazhakkai Kara Kuzhambu | Plantain Kuzhambu (Curry) RecipeVazhakkai Kara Kuzhambu is spicy plantain curry made in tamarind gravy.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
|Serves:||4 to 5|
- 3 - Plantain/Raw Banana
- 2 tbsp - Tamarind/Imli
- 1 - Large Onion
- 1 - Large Tomato
- 1 tsp - Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1 tsp - Sambar Powder
- To Taste - Salt To Grind
- 3 - Dry Red Chilies
- 1 tsp - Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp - Grated Coconut
- 1/2 tbsp - Chopped Garlic For Tempering
- 1 tbsp - Oil (Sesame Oil preferred)
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1 - Dry Red Chili
- 5 to 7 - Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp - Minced Garlic
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 10-15 minutes and extract juice using 2 more cups of water.
- Roast red chilli, coriander and cumin seeds listed under 'To Grind' to light brown, allow to cool and grind together with coconut, garlic pods into smooth paste using little water, keep aside.
- Peel and chop plantain in to bite size pieces or you can cut in roundels, immerse in water until required. Peel and slice onion, dice tomato.
- In a pan or wok heat oil add hing, mustard seeds, dry chilli, curry leaves, garlic and saute until garlic becomes golden brown. Add onion and saute until soft or for 2 minutes.
- Now add plantain and saute for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to soften. Add tomato, red chilli, turmeric, coriander, sambar powders and give a good stir. Cover and cook until tomato becomes soft.
- Add tamarind water, salt and bring it to good boil. (I transfer vegetables to cooker before adding tamarind water). Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until plantain is fully cooked in medium flame.
- Add coconut paste and mix well. Adjust salt if required. Simmer for another 5 minutes and off flame, cover and let it stand for 10 mins before serving.
Spicy and delicious kuzhambu to relish.
Vazhakkai kara kuzhambu, vazhakkai kulambu recipe,kara kuzhambu recipe, kara kulmabu recipe,plantain curry recipe, plantain kuzhambu recipe,chettinad kulambu recipe, south indian kulambu