Spring Onion and Peas Soup
DH got 2 fresh bunches of spring onion and I am not a big fan of spring onion other than garnishing I don't use it much, specially I don't like spring onion and potato curry !! So I always try to come up with new recipes using spring onion and this time I tried few.
Spring Onion/Scallions - 1 bunch
Peas - 2 Cup
Onion - 1 Medium
Garlic - 1 Pod or 1 tsp chopped
Olive Oil - 2 tsp [I use extra virgin oil]
Vegetable Stock/Water - 3-4 Cups [I used one vegetable stock cube]
Salt & Pepper - To taste
1. Thaw peas (if using frozen), shell peas if using fresh. Wash and chop spring onion, separate white and green parts, keep aside little spring onion for garnishing. Chop garlic and onion.
2. Heat oil in a pan add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, add onion and toss it. Now add spring onion white part, saute until transparent. Add peas and saute for a minute.
3. Now add 1-2 cups of stock or water, spring onion green parts, salt, little freshly crushed pepper and vegetable stock cube(if using).
4. Bring it to boil on high flame and then reduce the flame to low and simmer for about 3 mintues or until peas gets tender.
~ If using fresh peas you need to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
5. Let the mixture gets cool and then puree in a blender or mixer. Transfer the puree back to pan, add 2-3 cups of water or stock and bring it good boil. Adjust salt and pepper if required.
Our soup is ready, serve as it is or do a garnish of little spring onion/cilantro or with finely chopped carrot it's your choice.
~If using spring onion for garnishing then add 1/2 tsp or you might find the soup very spicy due to it.
Serve hot/warm with any bread you prefer. I had it with italian pepper biscuit, oh ya it's wonderful combo and serve as bread sticks :)