Turai (Ridge Gourd) Dal | Turai Toor Dal Recipe | Dal Recipes
Turai dal, turai tuvar (arhar/toor) dal or ridge gourd dal/Peerkankai is easy and healthy dal recipe made with turai (ridge gourd) and toor dal and tempered with onion, tomato masala. This is one of the most delicious dal and great way to include ridge gourd in our diet or when you have less ridge gourd that dry sabzi can't be made then preparing dal with ridge-gourd (taroi) is great idea, one of the best comfort food.
This dal goes perfectly with steamed rice and add a dollop of ghee for satisfying meal doesn't require any more side dish just a salad, papad is enough or you can make simple aloo(potato), bhindi (okra) stir fry.
You can see turai dal is quite thick and it's taste good in this way but if you wish you can dilute the dal a bit add more water for it. We also make turai with chana dal and with arhar(toor) dal there are other version too which I shall try to post some times it's just that it's difficult to get tender ridge gourd here.
You can also check other dal recipes
- Arhar Dal | Varan Dal
- Chana Dal Fry
- Gongura Pappu | Khatta Bhaji Dal
- Khatta Masoor Dal
- Hara Moong Dal Tadka
- Chilka Moong Dal Fry
- Tindora Dal
Turai Tuvar Dal | Ridgegourd Pigeonpeas Dal RecipeTurai Tuvar (toor) dal or Ridgegourd Yellow Pigeon Peas dal is easy delicious dal recipe.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Main Course||Cuisine:||North Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
|Serves:||4 to 5|
- 4 Cups Chopped - Ridge Gourd/Turai
- 1 Cup - Arhar(Toor)Dal/Yellow Pigeonpeas
- 2 tsp - Oil
- 2 tsp - Minced Garlic
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 - Dry Red Chili
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 1 Large - Tomato
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- o Taste - Salt
- 2-3 Cups - Water
- Wash and soak arhar/toor dal for 10 minutes and meanwhile peel and chop ridgegourd (turai) in medium size pieces as shown in picture.
- Pressure cook toor dal, turai with 2 cups water for 4-5 whistles and once pressure released mash dal slightly.
- Peel and slice onion, chop tomato.
- In a wok heat oil add garlic and saute until golden brown, add hing, cumin seeds, dry red chili and saute until cumin seeds cracks. Add onion and fry
- Once onion becomes golden brown add tomato, red chili, turmeric and coriander seeds powder and mix well.
- Cook in slow to medium flame cover until tomato gets mashed, stir in intervals.
- Add cooked dal, salt and mix well (you can add 1 or 2 cups of water too but normally this dal taste yum when consistency is thick), let dal comes to a good boil and slow flame simmer for 10 minutes off flame. .
Healthy and delicious turai dal.
turai dal, turai tuvar dal recipe,turai toor dal recipe,taroi arhar dal recipe, ridgegourd dal, ridgeourd recipes, dal recipes, turai recipes,