Pappula Podi | Putnala Podi | Pottukadalai Podi Recipe
It's a very fascinating process I still see this whenever I am in-law place when we go to buy fresh roasted gram.There are some wonderful recipes with split roasted gram or dalia and this Pappula Podi from Andhra is one such recipe also known as gun powder.
Mildly sweet, spicy, tangy it has hints of all taste making it delicious and what I like about this podi is we can eat it with rice along with a dollop of ghee or oil, serve with idli-dosa, upma or spread over dosa so you see it's one podi with multiple use. My version of puttukadalai podi is here and this recipe Prathibha gave me while we were chatting one day and it's called Pappindi in her community.
I normally end up eating it with steamed rice and ghee or sometime have it with dosa or idli, there is also few variations which I listed below in notes do read that and enjoy this easy and tasty pappula podi with just anything of your choice.
Pappula(Putnala) Podi | Pottukadalai PodiAuthor: Priti | Category: Beverage | Cuisine: Andhra - South Indian
Prep Time: | Cook Time: | Total Time:
Yields: 3/4 Cup
Split Roasted Gram/Pappulu/Bhuna Chana Dal - 1/2 Cups
Dry Red Chili/Sukhi Lal Mirch - 5-6
Garlic/Lehsun - 2-3
Grated Dry Coconut/Khopra - 3 tbsp
Tamarind/Imli - Peas Size
Jaggery/Gura (Gud) - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To Taste
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing - A Pinch
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dried Curry Leaves - Few (optional)
1. In a pan or wok heat oil and roast dry red chilli until golden brown, remove from pan and allow to cool.
2. Grind sauted red chilli, salt, grated coconut first into fine powder.
3. Now add split roasted gram (pappulu), peeled garlic, tamarind, jaggery and grind to find powder, transfer into a bowl.
4. Heat a small pan or tadka pan and melt ghee add hing, mustard seeds and dried curry leaves and allow mustard seeds to splutter. Pour prepared tempering over prepared powder and mix well.
Our Pappula/Putnala Podi is ready have it with rice, idli-dosa or any tiffin item.
- You can skip garlic if you don't eat it
- Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds (jeera) while roasting chili for more flavor.
- You can add 1/4 cup of coconut it's add good taste.
- To dry curry leaves either roast it in a pan or microwave for 2-3 minutes.