Maddur Vada | Maddur Vade Recipe
It’s been ages since I took any pictures, relying on old pictures to write posts now a days. This is again one of those recipe I made during my in-laws visit. I ran out of ideas for evening tea snacks, how many days to make aloo pakoda, namak para, masala vada or other assorted pakodas, So I tried this maddur vada for a change though I never ate maddur vade before. It was a nice change and everyone liked it specially MIL and DH, I followed Prathibha’s Maddur Vade recipe which was part of her FF-TT series.
If you want a change from usual pakoda, urad vada then have to try this and you will like it. It easy to prepare and taste crunchy outside and soft inside. Can you see the layers in vada from below pictures? A wonderful tea time snack to enjoy and this is also I am going to prepare during Rakhi this year, you can try too. If you are still looking for Rakhi ideas then check out my previous roundups, lot’s of wonderful years.
Ingredients: [Yields 18-20 pieces]
Maida/Plain Flour – 1 Cup
Chiroti Rava/Suji/Fine Semolina – 1/2 Cup
Rice Flour – 1/4 Cup
Onion – 1 Large
Green Chillies- 3-4
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 8-10 sprigs
Soda Bi-Carb – A pinch
Salt – to taste
Ginger – 1/2” pieces [optional]
White Sesame Seeds – 2 tbsp
Hot Oil – 2 tbsp
Oil – For deep Frying
Water – 4-6 tbsp
1. Finely chop onion, green chillies, ginger (if using), curry leaves, cilantro.
~ Finely chopping of onion is essential if not while deep frying onion pieces will float on oil and get’s burnt! So do finely chop it.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl except oil and water and it will have crumble texture due to water in onions.
3. Sprinkle water 1tbsp at a time, until smooth dough is form, keep aside for 15mins.
4. Meanwhile heat oil in wok for deep frying, add 2tbsp of hot oil to vada mixture and mix everything well, it will be pitiable roti dough type.
5. Divide into equal portions, take one pieces at a time, make a ball and flatten it on your palm or use a plastic sheet/zip lock bag.
6. Drop 4-5 vadas in hot oil and deep fry until golden brown both sides in slow-medium flame, keep turning the vadas in intervals. The frying takes little longer than normal vada to have patience.
Our maddur vade is ready.
Serve with chutney of your choice, we had with Peanut Chutney and tea.
~ If dough get’s soggy add little maida or suji to adjust.
~ For more taste add 2tbsp of ghee instead of oil in dough.
~ You can add 1/4 cup roasted & powder oats.
Have a nice day ~~