Chettinad Egg Curry | Chettinad Muttai Kuzhambu
Hope everyone celebrating Makar Sankranti/Pongal having great time. Chettinad food is always very famous specially their spicy and delicious non-vegetarian recipes. Bored of usual egg curry, I made this chettinad style egg curry and from then just hooked on, it's become instant hit at home. Don’t get wrong impression with the long list of ingredients, its a easy and simple recipe with all the ingredients available in pantry. This spicy, yummy egg curry is a treat to eat with rice, if you like spicy food then it’s for you. I added little curry leaves while grinding masala just like that but you can skip that if you don’t wish too add. Since lot of people eat non-vegetarian food during Kaanum Pongal it's a best time to me to post this recipe.
Ingredients for Chettinad Egg Curry [ Serves 4-6]Eggs – 6
Onion – 2 [medium]
Tomato – 2 [medium]
Oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds Powder – 1 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt – To Taste
Dry Red Chilli – 3
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp
Clove – 2
Cinnamon – 1/2” pieces
Green Cardamom – 1
Chopped Ginger – 1 tsp
Chopped Garlic – 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chillies - 2
Khus Khus (poppy seeds) or Cashew Nuts – 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs [optional]
Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Water – to grind
1. Boil eggs, remove shell and make small slits in egg with knife, keep aside.
2. Dry roast ingredients except curry leaves, coconut under ‘to grind’ until aromatic (1-2 minutes) allow to cool.
3. Grind roasted ingredients with curry leaves to smooth paste using little water and keep side. Grind coconut with little water and keep aside.
4. Finely chop onion and tomato.
5. In a wok or pan heat oil add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add curry leaves, onion and sauté until soft.
6. Add chilli, coriander seeds, turmeric powder and mix well, cook for a minute.
7. Add tomatoes, cover and cook until tomato gets mash. Now add grinded masala paste.
8. Cook in medium flame for 8-10 minute or until oil separates. Add 2 cups of water, salt and bring it to boil.
9. Add eggs and cook for 5 minutes or until gravy becomes thick.
10. Add coconut paste mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes, off flame.
Serve warm with steamed rice or roti.
Other Chettinad Recipes
Chettinad Prawn Curry
Have a nice day ~~