Lobia Masala | Blackeye Beans Curry
Remember my Plantain Shallow Fry recipe? There was another side dish and I promise to post the recipe soon, so here it comes. I make blackeye beans/Lobia in many way and it's never the same, this recipe I adapted from Priya's Rajma Masala.
I saw her recipe and liked it so instead of using kidney beans I used blackeye beans...after all everything is beans only ;) ..I did few changes here and there and come up with this one and it tasted yum.
Lobia/ Blackeye Beans - 1 cup
Onion - 1 large
Tomato - 1 large
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
Red chili Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1tsp
Dry Mango Powder/ Amchur - 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi - 1tbsp
Jaggery - 1 tsp [optional]
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1tbsp
Cilantro - 1 tbsp [chopped]
1. Clean, wash and soak blackeye beans in water overnight and pressure cook with water (for 1 cup beans add 2 to 3 cup of water) and little salt for 4-5 whistles or duration you cook your beans.
2. Wash and chop onion, tomato and grind to fine paste with little water.
3. In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add the ground paste with ginger-garlic paste and mix everything well, cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add red chili, turmeric powders stir well and cover and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame or until oil separates from paste, stir in intervals.
5. Add kasoori methi, garam masala, amchur, jaggery and salt mix everything well and cook for 2 minutes with lid on.
6. Add black eye beans/lobia and also water (used to cook the beans) and bring it to boil. Check for salt and add more if required.
7. Cook in medium flame for 5-8 minutes or until the gravy become thick, stir in intervals. Garnish with cilantro.
Lobia Masala is ready, you can replace black eye beans with any other bean of your choice :)
Have a gud day ...