Brinjal Sambar Recipe | Kathirikai (Vankaya) Sambar | Easy Sambar Recipes
We can use regular small brinjal variety or also the long onces though small ones are better to use. Made with good homemade sambar powder any sambar taste more delicious. If you look for simple and easy sambar then this recipe is for you and also to make some quick easy meal, nothing much to be done just serve with some papad, fryums and delish lunch is ready. I normally do the tempering first then follow the sambar making procedure. You can prepare the sambar and do add tadka finally too. Enjoy these yummy brinjal sambar with rice of tiffin items.
Kathirikai Sambar or Brinjal sambar is easy sambar recipe where brinjal is used and normal sambar procedure followed. I like brinjal sambar a lot and specially with vankaya I like when sambar is made too, this sambar recipe we can serve with rice and also with idli/dosa, tiffin variety. Goes perfectly with rice and we don't really required any side dish just fryums or papad makes comforting lunch or we can pair along simple potato fry, okra fry etc.
You can also check other Sambar Recipes
Kathirikai (Brinjal) Sambar RecipeVegan and healthy sambar with Kathirikai (brinjal).
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 3/4 Cups - Arhar/Toor Dal
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 6 - Small Brinjal/Kathirikai
- 1 tbsp - Tamarind (tightly packed)
- 2 tbsp - Sambar Powder
- 1 Large - Onion
- 1 Large - Tomato
- 2 - Green Chilies
- To Taste - Salt
- 1/2 tsp - Grated Jaggery
- 2 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves For Tempering/Tadka
- 2 tsp - Oil
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1 - Dry Red Chili
- 7 to 8 - Curry Leaves
- Wash and pressure cook dal for 3 whistles, once pressure released mash dal with wooden masher and keep aside. Meanwhile Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water for 10-15 mins and extract juice adding another 1/2 cup of water.
- Peel and slice onion, finely chop green chili, coriander leaves, tomato. Cut brinjal head and cut into 4 pieces. If using long brinjal variety then cut them into 2" long pieces, immerse in water until required.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan, add all the items listed under 'For Tempering' and saute. Add onion and saute until onion becomes soft.
- Add brinjal pieces and saute for 4-5 becomes or until it starts to becomes soft. Add tomato, sambar powder, mix and cook until tomato gets mashed. Add 1/2 cup water and cook for 4-5 mins or until brinjal gets cooked.
- Add tamarind water and bring it to boil, simmer for 2-3 mins. Add dal and 1 to 2 cups of water, salt mix and bring to boil, add jaggery simmer for 4-5 mins, add coriander leaves, stir and off flame.
Serve with rice, fryums or papad. I made along greens stir fry, semiya. You can also serve this sambar with idli/dosa.
Delicious and easy brinjal sambar.
brinjal sambar recipe,Kathirikai sambar recipe, sambar recipe, Kathirikai sambar,vankaya sambar,breakfast sambar,how to make Kathirikai sambar,brinjal recipes,eggplant sambar,how to make sambar,south indian sambar recipes,kartika sambar, bainjan sambar