Murunga Dal Recipe | Drumstick Dal | Murungakkai Paruppu
Murunga Dal or Murungakkai Paruppu, Drumstick Dal is easy dal made with drumstick. This dal recipe is very good specially for people whom doesn't like tamarind so doesn't eat sambar. This sahjan dhal recipe is from my in-laws, there they make dal with drumstick and of course not sambar. When I posted drumstick sambar in that post I did talk about this dal and how I want to share the recipe which is finally happening now.
I normally used to make sambar with drumstick and few curry but I learnt to make this dal after few failed trials ;) As I never really learnt the recipe but simply use to do the dal my short cut way and use to add drumstick with dal to pressure cooker which will result of mashed drumstick with lots of fibre of course, you should not do that take my word for it. My in-laws place drumstick is known as murunga and not sahjan as it's called in hindi :)
Have this dal with rice and it makes a complete meal, you can add along some salad, papad, any side dish if you wish but it works by itself. This Shevgyachya dal is almost same like to sambar just minus the tamarind and other typical tempering ingredients and we have super delicious dal ready and some people would think as sambar too ;)
I make this drumstick dal a lot of course more than sambar now, so this was a weekend meal along with onion kadhi, bharwa tindora and rice for a super delicious and comfort meal. You can pair this with potato fry, bindi fry or with just papad too this dal works well.
You can also check other Drumstick Recipes
- Drumstick Leaves Rasam
- Drumstick Leaves Adai Dosa
- Drumstick Leaves Toor Dal Bhaji
- Mulakkada Masala (Drumstick Masala)
- Drumstick Sambar
- Maharashtrian Drumstick Curry
- Drumstick Egg Curry
- Murungakkai Keerai Poriyal | Drumstick Leaves Stir fry
Murungakkai Dal | Drumstick Dal RecipeHealthy and delicious dal made with drumstick or Murungakkai.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 3/4 Cup - Toor (Arhar) Dal/Split Pigeonpeas
- 3 - Drumsticks/Murungakkai
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 2 Medium - Tomato
- 3 - Green Chillies
- 1 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp - Oil or Ghee
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp - Minced Garlic
- 8-10 - Curry Leaves
- To Taste - Salt
- 2 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Soak dals for 10-15 mins, wash and pressure cook for cook dal with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and water covering dal or 1.5 to 2 cups to 3-4 whistles, once pressure released mash dal and keep aside.
- While dals getting cooked, Peel and cut drumstick in 1 inch long pieces, slice onion, slit green chilli, chop tomato and coriander leaves.
- In a pan or kadai heat oil add hing, cumin seeds and allow to splutter. Add garlic, curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds or until garlic gets light brown.
- Add sliced onion, green chili and saute until onion becomes soft. Add drumstick pieces and saute for 2-3 minutes in medium flame or until drumstick becomes golden brown. Add red chili powder, coriander powder and mix well
- Add tomato mix and cook until tomato gets mashed, now add 1 cup water and bring it boil, keep flame in medium cover and cook for 4-5 mins or until drumstick gets cooked fully.
- Add mashed dal with 2 to 3 cups of water (I transfer the drumstick mixture to cooker), salt and bring it to boil, now keep flame in medium and simmer for 5 mins. Add coriander leaves mix well and off flame.
Delicious dal with goodness of drumstick.
Murunga Dal recipe,Drumstick Dal Recipe, Shevgyachya dal recipe,dal varieties,Murungakkai paruppu recipes,sahjan dal,mulakkada pappu,easy dal,drumstick vegetables dal recipe,dal with drumstick,drumstick recipes, healthy dal recipes,vegan dal recipe,